If you are in search of a camping hammock, you must be an outdoor explorer. Undoubtedly, it could be the best thing for a regular camper, be it the hot summer days in the wild, or freezing nights over the mountains. In fact, a hammock tent is an ultimate lifesaver to provide both safety and shelter in hostile weather.
However, hammocks have evolved a lot in recent years. Whether you love hiking, car camping, or backpacking- a double layer hammock is the wiser selection compared to its single layer counterpart, thanks to its heavier construction and two-layered fabrics. Besides, they are the best to elevate the lounging game in outdoor camping.
So, to enjoy hammocking to the fullest, meet some of the current best double-layer hammock below that can completely change your encamping experience.
Most Lightweight- Bear Butt Double Layer Hammock for Outdoors
Among the five dual-layered camping hammocks, this is the lightest of all, weighing only 1.6 lbs.
Best for Sleeping- Overmont Double Layer Backpacking Hammock with Mosquito Net
Instant support from mosquitoes, bugs, or any other wild insects makes it the best sleeping hammock while staying outdoors at night.
Best Budget-Friendly- Ayamaya Hammock Underquilt for Four Seasons
It’s a superior quality underquilt to fit any standard hammock. Also, the best deal in a shoestring budget being equally effective as the high-end ones.
Most Durable- YCD Portable Camping Hammock Set
We loved this complete hammock gear for its versatile usages. Being made of 210T breathable parachute nylon, it is tear-resistant, therefore, the most durable on the list.
Most Comfortable- ETROL 2 in 1 Portable Camping Hammock
ETROL came up with this amazing travel-friendly, portable, and lightweight hammock that is tailored with skin-friendly 70D nylon fabric. Resultantly, it is the most comfortable outdoor cradle for people with sensitive skin.
Product Reviews of the Best Double Layer Hammock
In the review of the following five dual-layered hammocks, we will be talking about both their amenities and drawbacks to let you make the best choice. Let’s dive into the details!
1. Bear Butt Double Layer Hammock for Outdoors
- EASY TO SET UP AND TAKE DOWN - Setting up this big 10 ft long 6 ft wide camping hammock can be done in a matter of minutes, Taking down our portable hammock is just as simple. Add To Cart Now.
- VERY COMFORTABLE AND DURABLE - Our 2 person hammock is very durable, sturdy and has the highest quality stitching for you to spread out and enjoy your surroundings which is important for any hiking gear when backpacking.
- COMPACT AND LIGHTWEIGHT CAMPING GEAR - Weighing only 1.5lbs our folding packable double hammock packs up easy for storing and is small and light making it perfect to carry for any hiking trip.
Looking for a hammock that offers you hassle-free hanging? Look no further as you already got your deal.
Truth be told, Bear Butt is incomparable when it comes to customers’ contentment. So, you won’t be dissatisfied with this original high-tech hammock at all.
Thanks to its triple stitching formula, it is way more durable than others. Also, the most exceptional fabric makes it even more desirable. As a result, you can consider it as an ideal one/two-person hammock that gives you the most comfortable hanging, be it outdoor or indoor.
Compared to the contemporary brands’ hammocks, it is pretty affordable with top-notch quality. Being a unisex product, you can have it for your parents, friends, relatives, or others. Furthermore, you don’t need any extra stand to set it up.
Although it isn’t double thick on the bottom to fit sleeping pads, that doesn’t affect the overall performance of this one of the best portable hammock.
Material: Compared to the hammocks made with net or mesh, it is much more durable because of the specially formulated 210T 75D Nylon.
Weight Capacity: Although the manufacturers mentioned the weight range as 500 lbs, our expert team tested it to be durable up to 800 lbs
Softness: The 210 thread count of the fabric assures ultimate safety and softness simultaneously.
Weight: Bear Butt engineered this backpacking hammock with only 1.6 lbs, that too including the ropes. Pretty lightweight for packing, isn’t it?
Dimensions: You will love this 10 ft long and 6 ft wide camping hammock that is more than comfortable for two persons, even compatible with 3-4 persons in case of emergency.
Color: Available in a wide variety of colors. Also, the color combination of every single one draws attention immediately.
- Extremely lightweight to carry anywhere
- The unique nylon fabric with 210 thread count offers bed sheet softness
- Spacious and sturdy enough to hold two persons easily
- The ropes that come with it stretch a lot
2. YCD Portable Camping Hammock Set
- Portable camping hammock set. Including hammocks, mosquito nets, waterproof rain flies, tree belts, steel carabiner, piles, tree belts. This hammock set is the best camping gear on the market today.
- This hammock is made of 210T breathable, tear-resistant parachute nylon fabric that is soft and durable. Easy to clean and quickly dry after damp, easy to carry around.
- The hammock is equipped with mosquito nets, suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, beach, traveling, backpacking, backyarThe hammock is equipped with mosquito nets, suitable for camping, hiking, fishing, beach, traveling, backpacking, backyard and other leisure outdoor activities.d and other leisure outdoor activities.
On the second spot, let us introduce you to complete hammock gear for your upcoming outdoor adventure. The package comes with everything you need including hammocks, waterproof rain flies, mosquito nets, piles, tree belts, and a steel carabiner.
Apart from using it as a rainproof shed, you can make it a picnic mat too. Moreover, this army green color high-strength hammock is a true friend when it comes to taking shelter from the hot sun.
However, as it comes with a lot of accessories, you can give it a go for camping, backpacking, fishing, hiking, and any other outdoor activities. In terms of softness, it resembles the Bear Butt Double Layer Hammock for Outdoors due to its 210T nylon fabric.
One thing that may bother you is that it doesn’t come with any particular rainfly setup instruction. There are hundreds of tutorials on YouTube by the way. So, this great hammock set certainly deserves a try right now!
Material: Being made of 210T breathable, soft, and heavy-duty parachute nylon, it is wear and tear-resistant.
Maximum Weight Capacity: It can hold up to 440 pounds weight without any difficulty.
Weight: The full set weighs 2.8 pounds, a bit heavier than the Bear Butt one, because of all the supporting gear it comes with.
Included Accessories: We loved the full package of the hammock which includes one mosquito net camping hammock, two tree ropes, two aluminum alloy piles, two anti-rust steel carabiners, and two wind ropes.
Rainproof Tarpaulin: The waterproof rain fly is made of ripstop nylon and provides ultimate protection from the rain. Having a diagonal size of 122×122 inches, it also works as a sunshade.
- Breathable 210T nylon makes it durable and comfortable
- Quick and easy to assemble and disassemble
- Nicely made mosquito net that works great as an insect protector
- The rain fly isn’t big enough to cover the hammock from end to end
3. Ayamaya Hammock Underquilt for Four Seasons
- [ 20D SHELL + DWR COATING + 300T LINING - ] - The hammock underquilt is made of 20D ripstop nylon shell with a DWR coating. This premium material allows it to wear well and last longer. Soft 300T polyester pongee lining; imitation silk floss filling, is warm and cozy, protecting you from the cold of winter.
- [ BIG SIZE - FITS ANY STANDARD SIZE HAMMOCK ] - Hammock under quilt size: Length 98.4 inch, maximum width 51.2 inch. Wide size, wraps the sides and bottom of your hammock. Combine the warmth and insulation of a sleeping bag with the comfort of a hammock. Designed to fit snugly to all standard sized hammocks, keeping you warm and toasty in chilly temperatures, no Cold Butt Syndrome (CBS) anymore!
- [ ELASTIC STRAP ON BOTH ENDS - EASY TO SETUP ] - This camping hammock underquilt comes with elastic straps, and short bungee cord loops on both ends for an easy and cozy fix to your hammock. Set up and take down is quick and easy with our design. We’ve also included for you 2 larger carabiners if you prefer.
On the third spot, we have another best hammock for camping from the renowned manufacturers, Ayamaya. You cannot but love the ripstop nylon-made hammock underquilt for its superior performance. Also, the conveniently carryable size makes it a good choice for backpacking, hunting, hiking, mountaineering, and so on. As versatile as the YCD Portable Camping Hammock Set, you see!
As it comes in both single and double sizes, you can choose based on your requirements. The sturdy construction with amazing craftsmanship gives outstanding coverage for all four seasons.
To add more, we highly recommend it for its budget-friendly price range. The under hammock does justice to every penny you spend on it. Moreover, the lightweight feature is easily compressible inside the carrying bag.
Despite all the positives, a slightly disappointing fact is its irregular shape. You need to try hard to fold it correctly. Apart from this, it could be a decent deal though!
Weight: The hammock underquilt weighs 1.98 pounds, resultantly perfectly portable for any outdoor adventure.
Material: A subtle combination of 20D Shell, 300T Lining, and 300g Polyester Filling makes it one of the long-lasting hammocks you can have right now!
DWR Coating: Apart from the 20D nylon shell, the underquilt has a premium DWR coating to offer the ultimate warmth during the chilly winter season.
Size: You can get the under-quilts in different sizes as they are designed for any standard hammock sleeping system. The underquilt for a single hammock is 98.4″×51.2″, for a double hammock it is 98.4″×66.9″, for all-around drawstrings the size is 98.4″ ×55.1″.
- Warm enough to keep you toasty in extremely low temperatures
- Nicely sewn baffles make it snug and cozy without any trapped air inside
- Best deal on budget with plenty of advantages
- Some users found it too short as a double hammock underquilt, they recommend it for a single adult
4. Overmont Double Layer Backpacking Hammock with Mosquito Net
- 【Unique Double Layer Construction】 Extra strong double layered 210T nylon construction all in one piece, without seams. Different colors on each face, black or orange, alternate as you like.
- 【Heavy Weight Bearing Capacity】 Max 880lbs, almost three times the weight bearing capacity of normal outdoor nylon hammocks. Our double hammocks are extra-large measuring 8.9 x 4.6ft easily fits two large adults comfortably.
- 【Double Webbing Straps】 9.8ft long tree straps, 18 loops on each, weight bearing up to 1000lbs. Also includes 2 high-tensile carabiner clips with a max load of 2204lbs.
The next on the list, we have an exclusive hammock tent from the Overmont family. Not only is it a great grab for outdoor camping but also ideal support from bugs, mosquitoes, and other insects, thanks to its well-made mosquito net.
Besides being architectured with matchless double-layer construction, it also has the maximum weight-bearing capacity- up to 880 lbs. Furthermore, the fast and facile setup makes it a popular choice for wildlife adventures. You can assemble it all by yourself, no help required. How amazing, isn’t it? Much similar to the Ayamaya Hammock Underquilt, it too is easily contractible to carry anywhere.
Talking of the sturdiness, it is certified by German TUV, which means this bilayer hammock tent satisfies several global standards in terms of performance. So, you can put some extra weight on it too.
Nevertheless, you cannot place sleeping pads in between the layer and it doesn’t include a rain fly. If you are okay with these minor issues, you should certainly give this rocking cradle a shot before it runs out!
Material: Strong 210T nylon with an extra-strong dual-layer makes it a good grab for outdoor enthusiasts.
Weight: It weighs 2.71 pounds, pretty lightweight to pack anywhere.
Double Webbing Straps: The jungle hammock comes with unique 9.8 ft long double-layer straps that can bear a maximum of 1000 pound weight.
Maximum Weight Recommended: Compared to any regular outdoor hammock, it has a three times better maximum weight holding capacity, up to 880 lbs.
Measurement: Overmont is a power player in the industry in terms of manufacturing double hammocks. Look at their extra-large inventions that measure 8.9×4.6ft, comfortably compatible with two adults.
Double Zipper: The unaided rapid setup is highly influenced by the solid double zippers for both inside and outside.
- Fine meshwork keeps the mosquitoes outside by making it the best hammock for sleeping peacefully
- Soft and breathable material lets you feel at ease inside
- The reinforced connecting area makes it less likely to break
- Could be a bit wider
- The suspension points should be better
5. ETROL 2 in 1 Portable Camping Hammocks
- UNIQUE SUPPORT ROPE - ETROL hammock original unique design with horizontal support rope. Three functions are provided by the rope above the hammock when it set up. 1.Support the net so that when you lie down in the hammock, the net will not hang down and block your sight. 2.Provide suspension function. 3. Unzip the hammock and put the net on the support rope to broader your horizon.
- NEW UPGRADED FABRICS - Hammock bottom made of 70D tear resistant nylon fabric, with delicate and soft Polyester Fabric B3 net . Portable lightweight and comes in with built in storage bag, Easy to carry. Made of skin-friendly fabric, comfortable and natural.
- SUFFICIENT SPACE - hammocks 110" x 55" size gives you plenty of room to sleep. The weight is limited to 440 pounds. This is a single/double hammock and there is plenty of room for stretching. You can also remove the rope and turn the hammock over when you don't need it. This will be a new hammock.
On the last spot, we came up with an outstanding double-layer hammock with a unique mosquito net style. Like any other ETROL hammock, it is also backed by a 6-month quality promise.
One of the most exclusive features of this amazing outdoor sleeping system is the skin-friendly fabric. The soft and comfy nylon makes it natural and favorable for skin. On top of that, there is enough room inside to spread your legs comfortably.
As the package comes with a lot of additional equipment, it is very easy to set it up anywhere. Besides, the non-detachable net makes it even easier to assemble. Furthermore, the upgraded fabric quality with detailing in the design is the USP of this world-class outdoor essential.
However, you might be intimidated by so many features but once you learn all the usages, you don’t want to miss them out.
Maximum Weight Capacity: It can bear up to 440 pounds weight similar to the YCD Portable Camping Hammock Set.
Color: A wide variety of colors are available for this exquisite hammock tent including blue, purple, gray, black & white, grass green, army green, red & gray, etc. Dimensions: The 110×55 inches size offers enough space inside to stretch snugly.
Added Accessories: You get everything needed for a super-fast suspension with this hammock set from ETROL. The list includes two 110″ straps, two steel hooks, two ground piles, ten rings for length adjustments, and a compression sack.
Material: The delicate 70D nylon spinning makes it skin-safe and tear-resistant.
Item Weight: Weighing only 2.2 lbs, that too including all the accessories, it is a perfect match for the regular travelers to carry easily.
- Safe and secured for outdoor hanging with all the upgraded accessories
- The high-density polyester net permits adequate air permeability
- Excellent support from the horizontal ridge ropes to hang the net perfectly
- No rain tarp included
- Poor quality control makes it less durable
What Is a Double Layer Hammock?
As the name suggests, a double-layer hammock consists of two folds of fabric to form a kind of pocket or compartment. That chamber or compartment is used to retain insulation by holding either foam or inflatable sleeping pads.
With the internal pad sleeve made by the two layers of fabric, the bi-layered hammock supports you when you need better protection. On the other hand, it also gets it out of the living chamber upon getting hard to deal with.
However, unlike a single-layer hammock, the one with dual folds becomes a bit stronger due to the added layer. So, it can withstand more weight. Also, it is easier to fill the pocket with plenty of pads in the hammocks, be it inexpensive sleeping pads or closed-cell foams. Adding several layers of pads will make the hammock heavier though!
Double Layer Hammock VS Single Layer Hammock
Among numerous hammock models, which one should you go for, double layers or single layers? Let’s conduct a quick comparison.
Hammocks with two layers will offer you the following benefits-
Maximum Weight Capacity
As the added fabric layer adds more strength, it can hold more weight too, almost 75% more weight than the single one. This is the prime purpose for people using dual-layered hammocks.
Assuring adequate support, a bi-layered camping cradle offers better protection from bugs. For single-layered ones, it’s easier for them to attack due to the lighter fabric.
No added underquilt is needed to make you warm. Due to the pad sleeves, the cheap and affordable foam pads will do the job.
On the contrary, a single layer hammock has the following advantages-
As the extra layer adds some more weight to the two folded ones, the single-layered hammock has the lightest combination. Consequently, you need not carry the extra weight while traveling.
If you have just stepped into the camping world, you might opt for the single-layer suspension system for its setup process. At this stage, it works great for recreational lounging.
As for hammocks with just one layer of fabric, there are limitless options to choose from. Also, its lightweight single layer is all you need when you don’t need added insulation.
Benefits of a Double Layer Hammock
If you can pick the best double layer hammock, it would serve you for the following purposes-
- One extra layer adds thickness to the hammock, consequently makes it sturdier.
- The two layers form a chamber to hold pads or foams. As a result, the hammock holds insulation inside.
- Due to the second layer, the hammock can withstand extremely hot or cold temperatures.
- Avoid buying under quilts in case you are using a double-layer camping hammock. The sleeping pads are more than enough.
- Better bug protection because of the two folds of fabric makes it more dependable in wildlife adventures.
- Plus-size people with more height and weight should rely on double-layered ones as they permit more load-bearing capacity.
What’s the best double-layer hammock?
If you are searching for a camping hammock double for the tree while camping in a jungle, you can go for the Overmont one with double webbing straps. Also, the seamless construction makes it suitable to adapt to any camping setup easily.
What is a camping pad?
Camping pads are basically sleeping pads that are placed inside the pad sleeve in a bilayer hammock. They retain the insulation inside. Also, cushioning is a very important role of camping pads to ensure a good night’s sleep.
Is a double hammock comfortable?
It is. Without an underquilt, it seems to be uncomfortable. But that is a myth. With the extra layers of closed-cell foams or pads, you can turn them more than comfortably within budget.
Is a double hammock too big for one person?
Well, sometimes it is. But in most of the cases, no. In fact, when a double hammock is used by a single person, there will be more space to relax snugly.
Can you leave a hammock in the rain?
If it comes with a waterproof rainfly, then why not? So, check out the features before buying if it comes with a tarpaulin, or if the hammock dries fast after sopping up.
To conclude, we would like to add some more about the hammock, an outstanding outdoor tool. Day by day, it is becoming an inseparable part of our daily life. Even if someone doesn’t go camping, they can enjoy the gentle swing by relaxing in the backyard on a hammock.
But for wildlife explorers, double layer hammocks are better in terms of fighting with different weather conditions. The YCD Portable Hammock is an ideal selection in this regard if you opt for longevity. For an all-season one, Ayamaya Hammock Underquilt is the best in budget. And if you need a portable hammock with a canopy, Overmont or ETROL should be picked. Their mosquito nets work as sunshades when needed.
However, we hope this guide helps you choose your preferred two folded hammock sleep system you would be thanking for. All the best.